Home Maintenance Helps Prevent Water Loss
Ah the joys of homeownership, it is never-ending! Here are a few things you can do in your home to lower your chances of getting water damage.
- Do ceiling, attic and shingle checks routinely so you can catch a small problem before it becomes a BIG problem.
- Check your downspouts. They should point away from your house so water flows away and not toward your foundation.
- Check your sump pump yearly and know when it needs to be replaced whether you think it needs to or not.
- Plants are nice but some have very evasive root systems that can wreak havoc.
- If your water bill is unusual, there might be a leak that needs to be addressed.
- Clean your gutters. This is very important to prevent overflow onto your roof and ice dams in the winter.
- Grease goes in the garbage NOT down your drain!
- Do regular inspects of hoses or water lines on wash machines, dish washers and refrigerators and corrosion on hot water heaters.